The Membership Manager add-on manages basic membership processes typical for associations and nonprofits, such as automating the join and renewal process, maintaining membership roles, and administering the access of members to restricted content on your website. It also provides access to online sales and automated billing through Invoice Manager.
- 1 Getting Started
- 2 Terms
- 3 Roles
- 4 How-To
- 4.1 How to Update Accounts Upon Renewal.
- 4.2 How to Set Up Membership Types
- 4.3 How to Edit Membership Types
- 4.4 How to Create New Accounts
- 4.5 How to Find Information about Member Accounts
- 4.6 How to Export Information about Members
- 4.7 How to Create Membership Accounts for People Already in Your Database
- 4.8 How to Cancel Account Membership
- 5 Reference
- 5.1 Join Process
- 5.2 Screens
- 5.3 Settings
- 5.4 Membership Reports
- 5.5 Group/Committee Directory
- 5.6 Data Structure
- 6 Things to Test
- 7 Use Cases
- 8 Revision History
To install Membership Manager please contact Contensive.
Membership Manager is based on the account structure created by Invoice Manager. It adds new fields and new tables that represent membership features like; membership type, join date, expiration date and anniversary date.
Use the Membership Manager addon to add, modify and report on membership accounts.
A Membership Account can represent one or more individuals, and/or one more more organizations and the individuals associated to the organizatioon. A single individual and a single organization can only belong to one account.
An individual is part of a membership organization when they are listed in the People tab of the membership details. They can also be associated as the primary or billing contacts, but these positions do not by themselves provide membership privileges. Note that this association between an individual and an account is unrelated to how the person might purchase from the website. The associate to an ecommerce account may be different.
See the basic terms in Invoice Manager
See the basic roles in Invoice Manager
This is a short list of common tasks. Also see account-based How-To instructions in Invoice Manager
How to Update Accounts Upon Renewal.
If the member elected to auto renew their membership, their credit card is automatically charged for renewal. If the member receives an invoice, he can choose to mail in a check or pay by credit card over the phone or via the mail-in application.
In order to mark the invoice as paid for payments mailed in or phoned in, log in and go to ADMIN. Click on the MANAGE ADD-ONS folder. Next click on the ECOMMERCE folder and then click on INVOICE MANAGER. From here you will click on the TOOLS tab and then select ENTER PAYMENTS/CREDITS. Select the account from the drop down menu. Choose check or credit card for payment. You can then enter the check number or credit card information and amount of payment. Click OK to save changes. Once they have paid, their expiration date will be updated automatically.
For accounts on auto pay, their expiration date will be automatically updated once payment has been received.
If an account has a renewal fee of $0, their renewal will be automatic and no invoice will be sent.
How to Set Up Membership Types
When you are logged on as an Administrator, click on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER in the Tools folder. finally click on MEMBERSHIP TYPES. From here you will see a list of all available membership types. Click ADD to include a new membership type. Information necessary to set up the membership type includes:
Details Tab: Here you will enter the name of the membership group, the maximum number of individuals and/or companies that can be associated with an account of this type, and a description of the membership type.
Pricing Tab: Here you will enter the membership price to join this group.
Fulfillment Tab: Here you will specify if anyone needs to be notified upon fulfillment of an order and which group should be notified.
Subscription/Renewal Tab: Here you will enter information about membership renewals, such as the expiration period type (calendar or periodic), number of days or months until expiration, and month of expiration (if duration type is set to calendar). You will also set the group that this member type is added to. Click here to learn more about how to add new groups to the system.
- Periodic memberships are those that end after the specified number of days or months after the initial purchase.
- Calendar memberships start in a month that you specify and must be renewed the following year before that month. When a customer pays for renewal of a membership based on a calendar year, their expiration date will be updated. However, if they pay for an additional year more than 6 months before the current membership expires, it will be applied to the current membership period.
You can also choose to automatically renew memberships by clicking on the “Renew on expiration” box. If you choose this option, you will set a renewal price and the number of days before expiration that a bill is sent, as well as the grace period for bill payment before their memberships becomes inactive.
Purchase Tab: Here you will check the box if you want custom copy on the receipt for this membership type and enter the custom text you want on the invoices sent to members in this group.
Note: If you want to send a custom invoice message to a specific membership type, in the Purchase tab, check the box "Allow Invoice Message" and type the custom text in the Invoice Message field.
Click OK when you are done entering information to save changes.
How to Edit Membership Types
You can edit a membership type by clicking on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER folder and then on MEMBERSHIP TYPES. From here you will see a list of all available membership types. Click on the paper/pencil icon next to the name of the membership type you want to edit. You can make changes to any of the information that you input when you added the membership type. Click SAVE when you are done making changes.
How to Create New Accounts
Prospective members create new accounts online by filling out a registration form. To access this form, click the REGISTER or JOIN button on the website. After entering all required information, including payment information, click NEXT to access the thank you screen.
If the member pays by credit card, and your MEMBERSHIP MANAGER SETTINGS require you to authorize new accounts, they are added as a member with a PENDING status. To move them to an ACTIVE status, go to ADMIN, click on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER FOLDER and then click MEMBERSHIP MANAGER. Click on the PENDING choice and all PENDING accounts will be displayed. Click on a specific account and choose ACTIVE from the drop down list for status. Click OK to save the change.
If the member pays by credit card and you have chosen automatic activation in MEMBERSHIP MANAGER SETTINGS, then they are added as an ACTIVE member.
If the member chooses to pay by check, they are added as a non-member. They are moved to PENDING or ACTIVE status (depending on your MEMBERSHIP MANAGER SETTINGS) with the MEMBERSHIP TYPE specified when joining once you have received their check and you have marked them as paid.
To mark the invoice as paid, log in and go to ADMIN. Click on the MANAGE ADD-ONS folder. Next click on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER folder and then click on MEMBERSHIP MANAGER. From here you will click on the INVOICE MANAGER tab. At the top of the page select TOOLS and then click on ENTER PAYMENTS. Select the account from the drop down menu. You can then enter the check number and amount. Click OK to save changes.
If a prospective member sends in a paper application, you can create the new account by logging out and clicking the REGISTER button to fill out the public join form. Make sure you are logged out so that you are not changing information on your individual account.
How to Find Information about Member Accounts
When you are logged on as an Administrator, you will click on the ADMIN button, and from the ADMIN page you will click on the MANAGE ADD-ONS folder. Next click on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER folder and finally click on MEMBERSHIP MANAGER.
Displaying Account Information: The ACCOUNTS tab lists all accounts that meet the criteria you have selected from the menu on the left of the list. Options include ALL ACCOUNTS (not just memberships) or MEMBERSHIPS, where you can choose to include ALL, ACTIVE, EXPIRED, DEACTIVATED or PENDING.
To get detailed information for a particular account, click on the NAME for that account. This opens a record, which provides the account name, account status, primary contact, billing contact, membership type, join date and expiration date. You can edit the account name, contact information, membership type or status; click SAVE when you are done making changes.
NOTE: To change the expiration date on an account, you must first click on the box that says "Clear the expiration date.." and then click OK. This will remove the current expiration date and associated recurring purchase for the membership renewal. You will then be able to edit the member's expiration date. Once you enter the new expiration date, click OK to save the change. At this time a new recurring purchase will be set up to renew membership at the time of the updated expiration date.
If you click on the NOTES tab, you can add information to track membership activity. To add a NOTE, click ADD and type the text of the note. You can highlight this note/account by clicking on the ALERT box. This account will then be highlighted in yellow until you get rid of the alert by clicking on it and then hitting the CLEAR SELECTED ALERTS button.
You can also see which organizations and people are associated with this particular account by clicking on the ORGANIZATIONS or PEOPLE tabs.
NOTE: If you want to change which fields are visible on the Account List screen, follow the steps below:
- Login and click ADMIN, PORTAL FRAMEWORK, ADMIN FRAMEWORK REPORT COLUMNS.
- Click on the paper/penicl icon next to the field you want to edit.
- Check the box in the COLUMN VISIBLE field to display the field on the Account List and uncheck the box to remove it from that list.
- Click OK to save changes.
How to Export Information about Members
When you are logged on as an Administrator, you will click on the ADMIN button, and from the ADMIN page you will click on MANAGE USERS and then PEOPLE. You will see a list of all people in your database. To get information about a specific member group, click on the FILTERS >> at the left of the list, and then click on the member group you want information about. To choose which fields of information you want, click on SET COLUMNS and then click ADD by any fields you want to add, and click DEL on any fields that you don’t need right now. Click OK and then click on EXPORT.
Here you will set the file name, choose the format and click REQUEST DOWNLOAD. To retrieve the information, from the ADMIN menu, click on TOOLS, then DOWNLOAD MANAGER. You will see a list of all downloaded files. Find yours, and when it is ready, you can click on AVAILABLE to download the information.
How to Create Membership Accounts for People Already in Your Database
The IMPORT TOOL tab allows you to create membership accounts from people records already in your database. The name of the account is created from the first and last name in the current people record; all new accounts are set to bill through email.
Click on the MANAGE ADD-ONS folder. Next click on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER folder and then click on MEMBERSHIP MANAGER. From here you will click on the IMPORT TOOL tab.
Using this tool you will select the group that contains the specific members you want to import. You will also specify whether or not to create a recurring purchase or to check for duplicates. You may also select the field in your database that contains the membership type for each person and the membership expiration date. Click CREATE MEMBERSHIP ACCOUNTS when you have entered all required information.
How to Cancel Account Membership
Click on the MANAGE ADD-ONS folder. Next click on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER folder and then click on MEMBERSHIP MANAGER. You will see a list of all accounts of the type specified in the menu to the left of the list. To deactivate an account, click on the account name and choose CANCELED from the drop down menu in the STATUS field.
Memberhip Manager does not include a join process. This is primarily because nearly every join process is unique. As a result, join processes need to be written to accommodate an administrator executing the join process for customers who can not. This may include simply logging in as the customer.
Account Listing Screen
The Account listing screen shows a list of all membership accounts, with filtering options to include all accounts, expired accounts, etc.
NOTE: The address listed is the address of the primary contact for the account.
Account Details Screen
To view the details of any account, locate the account in the Account Listing Screen and click on the Account name. The details tab lists the following fields:
- Account Status - The membership status of the account
- Active if they are a member in good standing
- Expired if they are an active member and their expiration date has passed with renewal. For more information about grace periods, see Membership Manager Settings
- Canceled if they have been canceled through this membership interface
- Pending if they have joined and are waiting for be activated. To automatically activate new accounts, see Membership Manager Settings.
- Reason For Cancellation - the reason a membership account canceled.
- Edit the list of reasons in Manage Add-Ons > Ecommerce > Membership Reasons for Leaving
- When an account cancels, set this reason manually
- If an account rejoins, the reason will automatically switch back to n/a.
- The value is only valid, and only saves if the status is canceled.
- Primary Contact - The account's Primary Contact. Account contacts must come from one of the following
- anyone with the account set in the billing tab of their people record.
- anyone associated to the account in Membership Manager People tab
- anyone with an organization set in their people record that is associated to the account with Membership Manager
- anyone set to an organization associated to the accountThe three contact types available in INVOICE MANAGER are:
- Billing Details - Billing details is a link that takes you to the invoice manager Details Screen for this account.
- Membership Type - The membership type set for this membership account. Create new membership types in the Data tab at the top. A Membership Type is set when the Account purchases an invoice with Membership type.
- Previous Type - When the membership type changes, the previous type is saved here.
- Anniversary Date - Displays and modifies the Anniversary Date.
- Expiration Date - This is the date when the date when the membership privileges of this account will expire, if it is not renewed.
This screen shows all organizations associated with a specific account. You can add new organizations by clicking the ADD button, selecting the organization from the drop down list and clicking ADD again. You can also delete an organization from an account by clicking the box next to the organization and then clicking REMOVE FROM ACCOUNT.
This screen shows all people eligible for membership under this account based on their affiliation with a specific organization.
Invoices for membership renewals and account statements are automatically generated by the system based on the criteria you specified in the SUBSCRIPTION tab under INVOICE MANAGER. Members who selected to auto renew their membership during the join process do not receive an invoice, and their credit card is automatically charged for the renewal fee.
- Automatic Activation
- When checked, the payment of an invoice containing a membership item (any item set as a membership type) converts the account into a membership account and automatically sets its membership status to Active. When unchecked, the purchase sets up the account status to Pending. If the membership is configured to renew on expiration, an account in pending status will NOT automatically setup a recurring purchase which means the account will not be billed for future periods until it is set from Pending to Active. When set active, the recurring purchase for the membership will be setup with the charged-through date based on the membership expiration date.
To approve memberships before they can become active, go to ADMIN, MEMBERSHIP MANAGER and MEMBERSHIP MANAGER SETTINGS and make sure the box is NOT checked. To automatically make members ACTIVE after bill payment, without the need for approval, check the box under settings and click OK to save changes.
- Membership Grace Period
- The number of days after a membership expires that the membership is still considered active. After this period it is expired and people will no longer be part of the group
- Membership Cancellation Grace Period
- This period begins after the Membership Grace Period expires. During this period, users are no longer in the the membership groups, but the membership account itself will remain expired and membership invoices will remain in the account. After this period ends, the account will be converted back to a non-membership account and all membership invoices will be canceled.
- Membership Organization Alias
- Set a word to in throughout membership manager in place of 'Organization', for instance you may prefer 'Company'
- Membership Canceled Alias
- Set a word to in throughout membership manager in place of 'Canceled', for instance you may prefer 'Deactivated'
To access available membership reports, when you are logged on as an Administrator, you will click on the ADMIN button, and from the ADMIN page you will click on the MANAGE ADD-ONS folder. Next click on the MEMBERSHIP MANAGER folder and finally click on MEMBERSHIP MANAGER and then click on the REPORTS tab. Available reports are listed below; to access them click on the report name from the REPORTS tab.
- MEMBERSHIPS BY TYPE
- Shows the total number of active memberships by type as of the current date, includes a pie chart and table with relative percentages of membership.
- MEMBERSHIP EXPIRATIONS BY MONTH
- Shows the total number of active membership accounts set to expire during each of the next 12 months in bar graph (hover mouse over each month) and table.
- MEMBERSHIP EXPIRATIONS BY TYPE
- Shows the total number of active membership accounts by membership type currently set to expire during the month in a pie chart and table.
- MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS BY MONTH
- Shows the number of active membership accounts that last renewed during a past period in a bar graph and table.
- NEW MEMBERS
- Shows the total number of accounts by membership type and status; filtered by join date and expiration date; includes primary contact, phone number and email.
- MEMBERSHIP TYPE BREAKDOWN
- Shows the active memberships listed with a total# of accounts filtered by membership type; also shows the account, primary contact, address and phone number.
- SERVICES OWED
- Shows the membership services owed for members who have purchased long-term membership. It is calculated as the normal price for membership divided by 12, times the number of maonths remaining until the mebmership expires. NOTE: if the membership price is custom calculated and does not come from the membership type's price, the services remaining report will not be correct.
- CURRENT MONTH RENEWALS
- Shows the annual membership renewals for the current month.
- MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS TRANSITION
- Shows the total# of membership types in transition, broken down to show those canceled, expired, and renewed; may be filtered by membership type and time period that includes last 3, 6, or 12 months.
- TOP MEMBERSHIP BUYERS
- Shows the monetary amounts for memberships and purchases made by account; may be filtered by date.
- EXPIRED MEMBERSHIPS
- Shows all expired memberships filtered by membership type and date.
- MEMBERSHIP KIT FULFILLMENTS
- Shows all accounts needing a membership kit; filtered by membership type and date.
- MEMBERSHIP PURCHASE HISTORY
- Shows all unpaid orders placed; filtered by date, account, invoice, description, or amount.
- TOTAL MEMBERSHIPS
- Shows a table of total number of memberships by type and includes a breakdown of those that are active, expired, canceled and pending; filtered by join and expiration date.
- ORGANIZATION REVENUE UPDATES
- Shows a list of organizations by membership type and associated account; filtered by revenue modification date and anniversary date.
The Group/Committee Directory is an addon that can be added to public website pages.
To create a directory, add the addon to the page using the wysiwyg editor, view the page with advanced edit turned on, and use wrench tool (instance settings) to select a group. Click Apply and all the people in that group will be listed.
The following database tables are used and/or created by Membership Manager.
People is a system Table which stores information about users. For more details, see the Developer Guide
Organizations is a system Table which stores information about companies. For more details, see the Developer Guide
This table is created by Invoice Manager. Membership adds the following:
- Date: The date when this account was last converted to a membership account. This happens when a Membership Type is purchased and the account does not already have one set.
- Date: The date when the membership privileges of this account will expire.
- Lookup into Membership types: When set, this account is a membership account.
- lookup defined as follows:
- 1 = active
- 2 = deactivated
- 3 = pending (the account has been configured but has not been activated)
Membership Organization Rules
This is a list of organizations associated to a membership account. In Membership Manager, Memberships can be associated to individuals or to organizations. Each record in this table represents an association of organzation to a membership account. This can be set or modified in the Organizations tab of an Account in Membership Manager. When selected, all the users in the system with this organization set will be listed in the account screen in Membership Manager. In addition, any users who are employees of plants associated with this organization will also be eligible for membership under this account.
- Lookup into accounts: The membership account
- Lookup into organizations: The organization associated to the membership account
Membership People Rules
This is a list of people who receive membership benefits from an account. In Membership Manager, users can be added to this list by checking the checkbox next to their name under the People tab of the account screen.
- Lookup into Accounts: The membership account
- lookup into People: The user associated to the membership account.
Things to Test
- Set up membership types
- Define Membership Manager Settings
- Put join form on a page
- Fill in join form and pay
- Check Membership Manager Reports
- Check Membership Manager dashboard is displaying accounts correctly
- Check Export
- Cancel membership
- All people in a membership account are put in the membership's group with an expiration date set to the membership's expiration date. An account is a membership account when it is not closed, has a valid membership type set, and the membership status is active. The Membership Group is the group set in the Membership Type.
- If membership is added to an existing account manually, only the features listed in the membership manager will occur. If there are any custom features coded into the join form, membership should only be added through the custom join form.
- Account Details Page: set an account to cancel and all the users are removed from the membership group
- Account Details Page: The join date should be set by the join form. If a non-membership account purchases a membership item, this date is set.
- Account Details Page: The Anniversary date should be set by the join form. Each year when this date is passed and the account membership is paid, the date is automatically forward one year a new entry is added to the Fulfillment Report.
- Account Details Page: Previous Type is the membership type this account was set to the last time the membership type was changed. This occurs automatically when the invoice for the new membership type is paid.
- Account Details Page: Expiration Date is the last date of the current membership period. The day after the expiration date, the account is not longer active unless new membership has been paid, or either the membership Grace Period or the Membership Cancellation Grace period have extended the expiration date.
January 29, 2016
- Added account directory, organization directory and group directory to membership manager (waiting next publish cycle)
January 30, 2016
- Added filters to Membership Report
January 31, 2016
- Migrated the account verify functions and all tables to Invoice Manager (Account Manager)